Recipe of the Week
Prawn cakes in lettuce cups...
Prawn cakes in lettuce cups
This recipe is just delicious! It is one of my favourites!
600 G raw king prawns, shelter, deveined and diced
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 long red chilli, roughly chopped
1 spring onion, finely sliced
1 tablespoon ice cold water
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
80 ml coconut oil, melted
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 lime, halved
1 cucumber, seeded and julienned
1 carrot, julienned
150 g beansprouts
Mint, Thai basil and coriander leaves to serve
1 butter lettuce, leaves separated
Lime dipping sauce
1 small red chilli, roughly chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
2 tablespoons fish sauce
Juice of 2 limes
1. Process the prawns in a food processor until smooth and sticky. Add the fish sauce, garlic, chilli and spring onion and pulse to just combine. Add the water, then pulse to form a thick, course paste.
2. Push your hands with oil so the prawn mixture won't stick to them, then divide the mixture into 10 equal portions and shape into golf ball sized balls. Place the sesame seeds in a small bowl and roll the prawn cakes in them to coat.
3. Preheat a chargrill pan to high and brush with the coconut oil. Cook the prawn cakes for five minutes, turning occasionally, until golden and cooked through. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and squeeze over the juice from the lime halves.
4. To make the lime dipping sauce, pound the chilli and garlic with the mortar and pestle until almost smooth. Stir in the remaining ingredients and 3 tablespoons of water. Taste and adjust the flavours if necessary.
5. Place the prawn cakes, cucumber, carrot, beansprouts, herbs and dipping sauce in small serving bowls. Arrange the lettuce cups on a platter, then allow your guests to fill their own lettuce cups with the prawn cakes, vegetables, herbs and dipping sauce. Enjoy!